Sunday, January 10, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

Welcome to my new blog for 2016! Please note that this blog has my name Jeanne Rhea. My older work can be viewed at Art for the Heart blog. My website is JeanneRhea.com.

For my New Year's resolution, I will attempt to paint a painting a day for as long as possible. Since I always said I would never be a painter and would probably sculpt or make assemblages, this is a major undertaking for me. In addition to new paintings, these will include finishing older paintings that had refused to cooperate, reworking paintings that were not just right, and small art projects that require painting.  

For the first ten days of the year, I have managed to complete a painting a day. Although it may seem simple to paint one painting a day, it has been a challenge.  I had planned to post daily photos to document this and to keep me focused.  At the end of the day, it was just too much to try to get done.  

So my modified goal is to post photos and document what I accomplished once every ten days instead. Since my goal was to complete one painting a day and not to start this new blog and document the activity, I have still fulfilled my intention---so far!  I hope you enjoy following me in my journey.

This is the painting that I had started in March of 2015.  It is now finished and at the Carolina Artists' Colony in Sanford, NC.


#1601 Winds of Winter
40"x30"x2"
Alcohol and acrylic inks, resin
Ampersand Claybord™



I painted these little chicks for my grand babies for their Valentine's Day. I had a blanket when I was three years old that had similar little birds on it. It was my inspiration for these three paintings.




#1602, #1603, #1604

For Finn, Amara, Emme

I had taught a class using silk fabric dyes and had two large gourds that I wanted to paint.  This was my break from serious painting!  #1605, #1606

 


I am exploring painting with oils and have painted these four paintings. These are all 10"x10"x2" on Ampersand Claybord™. The first three were inspired by photos that the Amazing Geologist posted on Facebook. I did not attempt to paint any specific rock, but rather use the overall effect from looking at their photos have on me. I have always loved rocks, trees, and fungi so will paint a few more with those items in mind. 


#1608
World Within
10"x10"x2"


#1609
Aftershock
10"x10"x2"


#1607
Dream Portal
10"x10"x2"


#1610 
Heartbeat of Winter
10"x10"x2"

So that's the report of my first ten days of 2016! I'm on a roll!

Website       JeanneRhea.com
Blog            JeanneRhea
Old Blog      ArtfortheHeart
Facebook   JeanneRheaStudio






8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be following. Love the chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne, it's so interesting to see that your oil paintings resemble your alcohol ink work. It's not surprising, I guess, but the two mediums are so different! Your oil painting textures and color blends are luscious, and I think the title of "Heartbeat of Winter" is perfect. You're indeed on a roll! 'Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. I have decided not to title a painting until it tells me its name! That is why the others are untitled. I am also not putting them up for sale until I title them. I did an analysis of my painting titles and I think that those where the title fit well helped to sell them. So far the ones, I immediately felt it was right, they sold. Maybe it was the 'connection' that I made in the creation that helped, too. Thank you for comments!

      Delete
  4. Jeanne,

    It is so amazing to me that no matter how gorgeous your work is - the next round steps it up a notch. Love that first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ilona! Even though I am trying a painting a day for the year, I don't want to put out a less quality painting than I ordinarily would. So if it turns out that I feel I am cranking out 'stuff', then I will slow down a bit and focus on making the paintings great. There is something to be said though for abstract paintings to be spontaneous and fresh by not overanalyzing them. I tend to over analyze and over work so this is actually helping me.

      Delete
  5. Amazing work as always! Love the Blog!

    ReplyDelete